We can follow anything. People, viewpoints, diets. Following is simple. Study the teachings of a person or movement and adopt them as your own. On Twitter, in requires nothing more than a simple click of a button. But there is something much more powerful than being a follower.
At some point in our lives, we’ve all had someone follow us. I’ve had employees follow my lead, readers follow my blog, and students follow my example when I was a youth pastor. Friends have followed my driving directions. Others have followed my advice. But I can think of a few followers I have that are more special than any others. These are my children.
Ellie, Noah, Sophie, and the one in Kristen’s belly.
My children follow me. Noah wants to be like me. When I get home from work, my baby girl comes running over to me. Ellie, my pre-teen daughter, doesn’t want to admit it, but she’s like me, too. But family goes deeper than simply following. Family has privileges, benefits, and opportunities that other followers don’t have.
Maybe you like to read my blog or watch the One Verse videos. I love it. I’m honored. But I’m not buying your groceries. You don’t have a key to my house. I love you, but you’re not in my will. My children have access to me in a way no follower ever will. There is a huge difference between Follower and Family.
You’re More than Just a Follower
I am a follower of Jesus. I believe He was the Son of God and died for my sins. I believe He rose from the dead, conquering sin and hell. I read His Words and follow His teachings. Being a Christian is more than a lifestyle or a culture where everyone dresses the same, votes the same, and wears a cross necklace. We are called to be Followers. Disciples. Students. The rest of our lives should be spent as being a dedicated Follower of Christ: Studying His teachings and adopting them as our own.
But we are more than followers. This is the beauty of the Gospel. The message of Jesus is more than a lifestyle to follow. It invites us into the family. Today’s One Verse comes from Galatians 3:26.
So in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith -Galatians 3:26
Through our faith in Jesus, we are more than just followers. We are sons and daughters.
Let that sink in.
If you trust in what Jesus did on the cross, you have become an adopted son or daughter of the Most High God! What does this mean? Well, what does being a child mean in our world? Here is a quick rundown.
- I love my family more than life. I would do ANYTHING for them.
- My family is my responsibility. I take care of their needs.
- My family is my joy. I offer more than basic needs. I give them many of their hopes and desires.
- I share my hopes, dreams, and plans with my family. I don’t keep secrets from them.
- I spend time with family. I enjoy them.
- I discipline my children because I care about them and want what’s best for their lives.
- I offer advice and guidance.
- My children have access to me at any time. If they need me, they can reach me at any hour.
This is what it means to be a part of a family.
Being a follower of Jesus is important. Being a passionate Follower of Christ is how we connect with God. Being part of the Family is how He connects with us! This carries so much meaning, it’s mind-blowing!
If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! -Matthew 7:11
As much as I love my children, it will never compare to how God feels about His children! Let’s look at that list above, but this time through the lens of being a part of God’s family.
- God loves His family and would do ANYTHING for them!
- God sees His family as His responsibility. He takes care of our need.
- We are God’s joy. (Wow!) He gives us the true hopes and desires of our heart!
- God shares His own hopes, dreams, and plans with us. His will is not a secret.
- God spends time with us, and He enjoys the time He spends with us!
- God does discipline us. He does this because He cares about us and wants the best for our lives.
- God gives us guidance.
- As God’s children, we have access to Him at any time. We we need Him, God is there for us!
This is just a small glimpse of what it means to be a part of God’s family. We are called to follow Jesus. But we are more than simply Followers.
We are Family!
If you belong to Christ, then you are… heirs according to the promise. -Galatians 3:29